YVR General Explorer 2-Hour Tour
Participate in a morning of fun and learning at YVR. During the tour, students have the opportunity to learn about the operations of a major international airport. There is both a walking tour of the terminal and a classroom setting component.
Tour highlights and subject areas include:
- The Observation Deck and view of the airfield
- Airport operations
- Being a passenger – tickets, check-in, flight information displays, security screening, packing your suitcase
- Aboriginal Art at YVR
- Sustainability at YVR
- Canada Line
The tour starts promptly at 10:00 am. Please arrive on time at the meeting spot at Level 4 YVR Canada Line Station at the airport no later than 9:50 am.
Meeting spot: Level 4 YVR Canada Line station. The airport staff will hand out parking passes and start the tour here.
Grades 3-7 TLA students are invited to participate (non-TLA students are welcome, too)
Minimum: 10 participants (including parents)
Maximum: 25 participants
Contact Person/Information: Julie Chetty, email@example.com, 604-220-1456
Sign-up deadline: October 18, 2019!
Please note: While the YVR School Tour is free of charge, you are responsible for transportation to the airport. If you are arriving via Canada Line, it is recommended that you purchase return tickets in advance in the form of FareSavers to avoid paying the $5 surcharge you will incur if you buy tickets from a YVR or Sea Island station.
Please have a plan before departing to YVR. They are expecting a record number of passengers in 2018, we recommend giving yourself extra time to get to the airport and to find parking.
1. Follow Grant McConachie way to YVR. After passing the gas station on your left, the road will fork left. Follow the dark blue “parkade / stationnement étagé” signage until you see the ramp. Head into P1 International terminal parking. .
2. Upon entry, the machine will give you a green token. Please keep your token to exit the lot. The tour guides will supply you with a paper pass that you scan to exit the lot free of charge. Scan this pass upon inserting your token at the exit gates and the lever will open.
3. Inside the parking, follow the signage and arrows directing to ‘International and US flight’.
4. As you exit the parking lot, you will walk through a corridor with escalators to your left-hand side and elevators to your right-hand side. Take the escalator or elevator to P3/Level 3. Now, on this level, take the subsequent set of escalators to reach level 4.
NOTE: If you find yourself in P1 by the domestic terminal, follow these directions…
Inside the parking lot, look for and follow the signage for “domestic flights’.
As you exit the parking lot, you will walk through a corridor with a set of elevators on your right-hand side.
Take the elevator to P3. As you exit the elevator, turn right to head toward P3 parkade. You will see the Canada Line across the parkade.
Walk across the parkade and take the stairs, escalator or elevators to the Canada Line platform (level 4). There is an open area beside the elevators and stairwell, this is where we will be meeting your group to hand out parking passes and start the tour.
There is a 4-hour parking time limit for P1. So, P1 will likely have the most available parking.