Frequently Asked Questions
Laptop Problem: Dimming/Brightness not working in Windows 8
Windows had updated their video drivers, breaking the brightness control. This tutorial reveals one way to correct this issue.
- Right-click on the desktop and select Screen resolution
- The Screen Resolution window will pop up. Now select Advanced settings
- On the Display Properties window that pops up, make sure the Adapter tab is selected, and click on Properties
- The Display Adapter Properties window will now pop up. Click on the Driver tab and then the Update Driver... button
- We want to find a specific driver, so click on Browse my computer for driver software
- Now Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
- Finally choose the Intel HD Driver Version 9.17
- The driver will then install and you may see the screen flash a couple times. If all goes well, you will have successfully restored the older driver and have full control over the brightness again. A restart may be needed if the brightness doesn't work right away.
Last updated Tue, Nov 25 2014 1:13pm