Grad Adapted Program (GAP)
“Taking students from academic frustration to high school graduation.”
The GAP Program:
- Help students who have reading, writing or academic difficulties to complete the graduation requirements
- Builds students’ self esteem where they may have lost confidence before
- Allows students to achieve success at their level of learning while working towards a Dogwood Diploma or High School Completion Certificate
- Provides access to credit for non-academic courses that allows them to build work-place and life skills
- Helps students learn communication, time management and organizational skills to help with life after graduation
- Works in partnership with the student and the parents
GAP offers Grade 10-12 core and elective courses using materials that are at a less demanding reading and writing level while still covering the learning outcomes.
Students are expected to write the required provincial exams, but depending on the ability of the student, he or she may be allowed some adaptations that may include additional time, use of computer, reader and scribe software*.
* Student must undergo an Psycho-Educational assessment prior to beginning the program to qualify for reader or scribe software.
- Apprenticeship and Workplace Math 10-12
- English 10 & Communications 11-12
- Science 10 & Earth Science 11
- Social Studies 10-11
- Planning 10 & Graduation Transitions 12
- PE 10-12
- Fine Arts 10-12 *
- Applied Skills 10-12 *
- Work Experience 11-12
- Life Skills 12
Only Full-Time students are eligible for GAP courses.
* Courses require participation of a qualified parent or person at home or in a class or lesson setting that is able to teach the safety and skills needed within the course.